Police Officer Hangs Himself After Colleagues Found Indecent Pictures in His Possession (Photo)

People were left in serious shock following the decision of a police officer to kill himself after he was found in possession of indecent photos.

PC Kevin Ellis, of Castleford, West Yorkshire
A police officer left his family and colleagues in shock after he hanged himself hours after he was arrested on suspicion of possessing indecent images.
According to Metro an inquest heard that PC Kevin Ellis, of Castleford, West Yorkshire, had been bailed after an indecent video was shared and traced to his home.
Other images ‘of concern’ were also found on electronic equipment on his arrest in April 2013.
Upon his release on bail, the 33-year-old was given a lift to his parents’ home, also in Castleford. However, Ellis enroute to his parent’s house, got out of the car explaining that he would walk the rest of the way to clear his head.
No one knew he had planned to commit suicide. His body was found the next day at secondary school Rodillian Academy in nearby Wakefield.
His father, Peter Ellis blamed the police for his son’s death. Kevin’s father, Peter Ellis, a retired police officer, told the jury that he and his wife had no idea that their son had even been arrested.
He said: ‘Had I known of Kevin’s arrest and that he was being bailed, I would have certainly collected him from the police.’
Mr Ellis said his son would have been aware of the implications of such serious allegations and that he should have been identified as at high risk of self harm.
He told the inquest that he would not have condoned any wrongdoing by his son, but should have at least been given the chance to speak with him.
In a letter to the Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police just days after his death, he said the police ‘bear a grave responsibility’ for Kevin’s death.
He added: ‘They had a duty of care but they not only failed him, but his family and friends.

‘Had I known of Kevin’s arrest and that he was being bailed, I would have certainly collected him from the police when he was released or at least met the officer who was bringing him to my home.

‘The opportunity for us to affect or influence his decision to take his own life was not afforded to us.

‘We may have been able to convince him that he did have a future. They handled the investigation poorly and danger signs were missed.’
West Yorkshire Police’s Chief Superintendent, Dickie Whitehead conceded that not enough had been done to safeguard Kevin.
He said Kevin had not been regarded as being at risk and that he repeatedly said he would not be doing ‘anything stupid’ before being bailed.





Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *